‘I felt an emptiness at the Australian Open,’ says Dominic Thiem
Dominic Thiem has described the Australian Open as ‘a lot of effort for little return,’ adding it left him feeling ’empty.’
The US Open champion was involved in one of the matches of the tournament when he beat Nick Kyrgios in front of a partisan crowd.
However, he then lost to Grigor Dimitrov to straight sets once coronavirus has forced fans out of the stands, and he said the whole experience was just too much mentally to overcome.
“It was a lot of effort for relatively little return,” Dominic Thiem told Der Standard.
“I played one of the most memorable matches of my life against local hero Kyrgios, I came back from two sets down.
“The atmosphere in Melbourne was incredible, even if those people weren’t cheering for me. And suddenly it was lockdown.
“I came back into the locker room late at night, sweaty, and the facility was being evacuated in the meantime, like a nuclear incident.
“Two days later against Dimitrov the mid-day heat was extreme and there wasn’t anyone. I didn’t push through, to cope with that situation.
“I feel a certain emptiness, but it’s not that big of a deal. I didn’t even watch the football Champions League last week, it’s a tragedy.
“I also hardly followed the tennis tournament in Monte Carlo.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner