How can Novak Djokovic clinch a record seventh year-end number one crown?
Novak Djokovic has the chance to ensure he ends the year atop the ATP rankings for a seventh time as he competes at the Paris Masters.
The 34-year-old is a five-time champion at the indoor Masters event, previously winning in 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2019.
Looking on to the end of the 2021 season, Djokovic has the opportunity to stand alone with the most occasions achieving the year-end number one position.
The Serb is currently tied with legend Pete Sampras on six. Sampras achieved the feat every year from 1993 until 1998. Djokovic has done so in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2020.
There is only one way that Djokovic can totally control his destiny. Should he win the tournament, he would ensure his status as year-end number one.
All other scenarios depend on how world number two Daniil Medvedev performs at the event. Djokovic would seal it if:
– He reaches the final and Medvedev does not win the event
– He reaches the semi-finals and Medvedev does not reach the final
– Djokovic reaches the third round or quarter-finals and Medvedev does not reach the semi-finals
– Medvedev does not reach the quarter-finals, regardless of how the world number one does.
Djokovic first faces world number 40 Marton Fucsovics after the Hungarian defeated Fabio Fognini in the first round.
Medvedev meanwhile will take on Ilya Ivashka after the Belarusian saw off Albert Ramos-Vinolas.
As the top two seeds, Djokovic and Medvedev can only meet in the final. The two men are also the two most recent champions in Paris, with Medvedev winning in 2020 and the world number one in 2019.
Finally, with Andy Murray now out of the tournament, Karen Khachanov is the only other former champion besides the top two seeds.
- Read >> Breaking tennis news
- Follow >> 24/7 LIVE scores
- Join >> Tennishead CLUB, the world’s only virtual tennis club
- Social >> Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Order >> World’s best tennis magazine
- Shop >> Lowest price tennis gear from our trusted retail partner