‘He has so many weapons’ – Former world number one predicts major Australian Open shock
Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt says Nick Kyrgios is going to be ‘awfully dangerous’ to the to players at the Australian Open.
Kyrgios will not be seeded for the competition after seeing his world ranking drop to number 47.
However, despite him not playing any tennis for a year coming into the Australian Open series, Hewitt is backing him to make a major impact.
“Nick just needs to get his body going, get the rust out of him,” Hewitt told the Today Show.
“He has so many weapons (on court), he is going to be awfully dangerous.
“If he can pull up well, he is definitely a dangerous floater none of the big names will want to play heading into week two.’
Hewitt also believes the Australian players in the tournament will have an inherent advantage over the rest given they did not have to quarantine for two weeks in January.
“It is a big factor, no doubt about it,” he said. “Hopefully we see a number of Aussies perform well over the next two weeks on court.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner