‘He has an unbelievable future ahead of him’, says Marin Cilic after beating Carlos Alcaraz in Estoril
Marin Cilic said 17-year-old Carlos Alcaraz has “an unbelievable future ahead of him” after battling past the Spaniard at the Estoril Open on Tuesday.
Sixth seed Cilic defeated the qualifier 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 in the first round of the ATP 250 tournament after edging a third set which featured five breaks of serve.
“I’m extremely happy to be here in Portugal, in Estoril for the first time. It was a very difficult match. Carlos is a great young talent. Definitely he’s got an unbelievable future ahead of him,” the 32-year-old said in his on-court interview.
“I was extremely happy to win after dropping the second set. He played really well. I was a break up in the third set and he broke back. In the end it was just a couple points that made the difference in the match.”
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 27, 2021
The world No. 42 – a former US Open champion – will face Portuguese qualifier Nuno Borges in the second round on Wednesday.
The Croatian added: “At this point for me, it’s important that I focus on myself just to try to play my good game.
“Obviously I’ll try to play some tactics, what I can during the match. But definitely it will be important for me to serve good, to still play my own game.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner