Gasquet sets Murray clash
Gasquet seed defeated Nishikori 6-4 6-2 4-6 6-2 to reach the last eight in Paris at the 13th attempt.
Gasquet had lost in the Round of 16 four times in the past five years at Roland Garros and had never made it to the quarter-finals, nor had he ever beaten Nishikori on clay, losing twice to the Japaneses in recent weeks in both Madrid and Rome.
However, in front of a partisan French crowd on Court Philippe Chatrier, Gasquet came from a break down in the opening set to take a two-set lead. Nishikori bounced back to take the third set, but an inspired Gasquet got the job done in four.
“Very difficult, especially against [Stan] Wawrinka a few years ago, I think I was leading two sets to love,” Gasquet said of his frustration at never previously making it past the fourth round, referring to his 6-7(5) 4-6 6-4 7-5 8-6 defeat to Wawrinka in 2013. “So of course, it’s a great match for me to beat the No. 6 in the world on central court in Paris.
“I was just motivated to play in the fourth round against one of the biggest players in the world with all the crowd cheering for me in Paris [on the] biggest stage in the world for a French player. That’s why I really wanted to win this match.”
The world No.12 will meet Andy Murray in the quarter-finals after the world No.2 defeated John Isner 7-6(9) 6-4 6-3. Murray has won seven of their 10 previous meetings and has not lost to the Frenchman in four years.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner