Flu reports no threat to Wimbledon
Originally published on: 26/02/10 12:38
Three low-profile male doubles players are believed to have fallen ill since the tournament began last week.
Of those, two have been knocked out of the men’s doubles and mixed doubles, while a third has withdrawn from the mixed doubles.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club last week confirmed a number of ball boys and girls were asked to stay at home after showing symptoms of a “flu-like illness”.
The AELTC had no plans to issue guidance on the threat of swine flu on Wednesday, however sources said players showing signs of the condition would not be expected to continue in the tournament.
Players were continuing to mingle at the Aorangi Park practice area within the Wimbledon grounds, while thousands of fans entered the club as usual.
Everyone involved in the tournament has been advised to seek medical assistance if they begin to show any symptoms of flu.
AELTC officials have been working closely with the Health Protection Agency and tournament medical staff plus St John’s Ambulance officials are monitoring the situation.
There is believed to be no threat to the tournament continuing and Ian Ritchie, chief executive of the AELTC, said last week that the flu outbreak was “entirely in line with the wider London community”.