Federer trains in Melbourne
Federer arrived in Melbourne from Perth after partnering with Belinda Bencic at the Hopman Cup. It was Federer’s first appearance in Perth since 2002.
He is making his return to action after cutting his 2016 season short in July to focus on “extensive rehabilitation” following knee surgery last February. It was the first year in 16 years that Federer ended the year without a trophy.
Speaking in Perth last week, Federer declared himself pleased with his return to action.
“I am starting to feel the ball better and better and I am just moving around the court better, so I am really pleased,” said Federer, who beat Dan Evans and Richard Gasquet but lost to Alexander Zverev. “You have to be able to handle different opponents and I am happy with where my level is at.
“I was uncertain; I didn’t know how it was going to go. I am very pleased that it is already going so well.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner