Federer to face Dimitrov in third round
The Swiss reached the third round in Melbourne for a 17th successive year with a 6-3 7-5 6-1 victory on Rod Laver Arena, but despite the straight-sets win, Federer believes his opponent is stronger than his ranking suggests.
“I’m a big fan of his game,” said Federer. “He’s explosive, got a great return especially on the second serve. He’s got all the shots. Just for him managing how to use what at what time.
“I’m very pleased with this win. I think it’s a tough second round. In my opinion he’s better than a lot of the guys who are ranked ahead of him.”
Currently ranked No.35, Dolgopolov is one of the highest-ranked unseeded players in the draw and was ranked as high as No.13 in 2012.
It is a similar story with Federer’s next opponent, No.27 seed Grigor Dimitrov, who was ranked No.8 in 2014 but slipped down the rankings last season.
The Bulgarian, who needed four sets to defeat Argentinean qualifier Marco Trungelliti 6-3 4-6 6-2 7-5, appears to have rediscovered some form in 2016, taking a set off Federer in Brisbane and reaching in the final in Sydney last week.
“He’s on a high right now,” Federer said. “It’s a tough draw to be honest. He’s got the game to be really dangerous. He’s fit enough for a five-setter so I’ve definitely got to bring my best game to the court on Friday.”
Elsewhere at Melbourne Park, there were straight sets wins for Kei Nishikori and Marin Cilic, while David Goffin and Dominic Thiem won their second round matches against Damir Dzumhur and Nicolas Almagro respectively to set up an intriguing third round clash.
Tomas Berdych, a 6-4 6-0 6-3 winner against Mirza Basic, will face Nick Kyrgios in another high-profile third round clash after the Australian defeated Pablo Cuevas 6-4 7-5 7-6(2).
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner