‘I couldn’t be more excited to be in the quarters’, says Roger Federer
Roger Federer said he was “extremely happy” after reaching the quarter-finals of Wimbledon with a comfortable straight sets win against Lorenzo Sonego.
The eighth seed defeated the 23rd seed 7-5, 6-4, 6-2 in the fourth round to make the last eight of The Championships for a record-extending 18th time.
The 39-year-old will play either Daniil Medvedev or Hubert Hurkacz – who are yet to conclude their fourth round match – on Wednesday.
The contest between No. 2 seed Medvedev and No. 14 seed Hurkacz will be completed on Tuesday due to rain – with Medvedev currently leading 6-2, 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 3-4.
“I’m extremely happy. Again, tricky conditions inside and outside against Lorenzo – who is always dangerous,” the Swiss said in an on-court interview.
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 5, 2021
“But I felt after that first set, I was able to control things. It was a great match, I couldn’t be more excited to be in the quarters. It’s a big moment and I’m very, very happy.
“Well you’re not happy about it [his potential quarter-final opponents needing to finish their match tomorrow]. It’s not fair though, but it’s how it goes. I’ve been in those situations many times before.
“These guys are young, they can recover [laughs]. It’s not a problem for them. Unfortunately they’re very good too, so hopefully it rains again tomorrow – I’m kidding.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner