Federer cruises past Berdych
Federer may have been announced first on Rod Laver Arena as the lower-ranked player, but he played like a 17-time Grand Slam champion as he cruised into the fourth round with a 6-2 6-4 6-4 victory inside 90 minutes.
Billed as one of the standout third round match ups, No.10 seed Berdych had no answer to Federer’s impenetrable serves, outrageous angles and sensational winners.
Federer, 35, who is returning to action in Melbourne Park after a six-month lay-off, showed signs of rust in his opening two matches, but he was back to his best against Berdych, hitting 40 winners past the Czech.
“I didn’t expect it to go this well,” admitted Federer, who 95% of points on his first serve. “I am happy it went as well as it did, happy to continue my run here even though I struggled in the early rounds. Today was great and I surprised myself.”
The Swiss will face No.5 seed Kei Nishikori in the fourth round after the Japanese defeated Lukas Lacko 6-4 6-4 6-4.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner