Top
Roger Federer Wimbledon

‘Roger Federer can still be a threat into his 40s’, claims top coach

2 Shares

A respected coach and former player believes that Roger Federer “can still be a threat” at this year’s US Open, and into the 2021 season. 

Darren Cahill – coach of Simona Halep and a former ATP world No. 22 – thinks the key for the Swiss star is getting his body right.

Federer was defeated in straight sets by Hubert Hurkacz in the Wimbledon quarter-finals last week.

It was the 39-year-old’s fifth event since the 2020 Australian Open – after he had two knee surgeries last year.

“Hopefully they (Federer and Rafa Nadal) take [Novak Djokovic equalling their Grand Slam tally] as a big challenge. For Federer especially, he’s got to get the body right,” Cahill told ESPN after the Wimbledon final.

“He didn’t look to be moving here (Wimbledon), so whether or not the knee is still a bit of an issue. That’s going to be the most important thing for him.

“And if he can get through that – yes, he can still be a threat at the US Open, even through to next year when he’s into his 40s.

“At Wimbledon is always going to be his best chance. So, fingers crossed he comes back here in 12 months time and gives himself a chance.”

Federer withdrew from the Tokyo Olympics yesterday – revealing he suffered a knee injury “setback” during the grass court season.

The world No. 9 said he hopes to return to the tour “later this summer”, with the US Open set to begin on August 30.


Roger Federer Wimbledon
2 Shares
Copy link