‘Emma Raducanu will be a superstar for years to come,’ says Jamie Murray
Emma Raducanu will become a superstar for many years to come following her US Open victory, according to fellow Brit Jamie Murray.
Raducanu made history at Flushing Meadows, becoming the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam and the first British woman to taste Major success since Virginia Wade in 1977.
Following her final victory against fellow teenager Leylah Fernandez, two-time doubles champion Murray said Raducanu will become a superstar both on and off the court.
“It was incredible, wasn’t it? Her second Grand Slam appearance at 18 years old,” Murray told talkSPORT.
“I’m sure she’s going to go on and be a superstar in the tennis world for years to come.
“She took it one match at a time, she played it point by point every match and she showed the world that she had the level and the composure to tick away and be a Grand Slam champion.
“It’s an incredible achievement. What she’s done at such a young age and with such little experience and expectation – it’s remarkable.
“I hope that she continues in that vein of form going forward despite increased spotlight and expectation that’s going to be placed on her.”
When asked how Raducanu will react to the increased attention, Murray said: “It’s difficult to say. You don’t know how people will react. She’s obviously going to become a huge star in Britain.
“She’ll be a big presence in the media and everyone will be keen to follow how she performs on the court after what she’s done in New York.
“Hopefully she’s got good people around her, good grounding, good base, and she’ll be fine. She’ll be focused on her career and keep pressing forwards.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner