Dominic Thiem will NOT defend his US Open title
Dominic Thiem has announced that he will not return to the tour in time to defend his maiden Slam title in New York this summer.
The world number six has been hampered by poor form and injury throughout the 2021 season, the latest of which was a wrist injury suffered at the Mallorca Championships just prior to Wimbledon.
Unfortunately, Thiem has not recovered since, and has now revealed that he will not participate in the final Major of the year at Flushing Meadows.
“My recovery was going really well,” Thiem explained via Twitter. “But then last week I hit a ball during training and started to feel some pain again. I went straight to see the doctors.
“We’ve all agreed on being conservative and to give my wrist some time to recover.”
— Dominic Thiem (@ThiemDomi) August 18, 2021
On top of the news that he will not be at the US Open, Thiem revealed that he is ending his 2021 season altogether, meaning he will also not defend his 2020 ATP Finals points and will drop out of the top-10 in the rankings.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner