Djokovic returns in Shanghai
Djokovic is playing in his first tournament since his US Open final defeat to Stan Wawrinka after a summer of mixed fortunes.
After finally completing his career Grand Slam at Roland Garros, Djokovic suffered a shock third round defeat to Sam Querrey at Wimbledon. He won a fourth Masters 1000 title of the year in Toronto but lost in the first round at Rio 2016 to Juan Martin Del Potro before falling at the final hurdle in New York.
Djokovic pulled out of last week’s China Open with an elbow injury, but he returns to action at the Shanghai Rolex Masters, where the three-time champion is determined to start enjoying himself on court again.
“My approach is just different,” admitted Djokovic. “The last three months were up and down, a little bit with oscillations, but generally I didn’t find that kind of satisfaction on the court, which is the very reason and the source of my motivation to play tennis.
“So that’s my priority now, to get back into that inner joy and really feeling happy for being on the court, and everything else comes second and behind that.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner