‘Medvedev is the only player who could stop Djokovic’, believes Mats Wilander
Mats Wilander thinks that Daniil Medvedev is the only player who could possibly “foil” world No. 1 and heavy favourite Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon.
Seven-time Grand Slam champion Wilander cannot see anyone in the top half of the draw troubling the Serbian en route to the final.
Five-time champion Djokovic has dropped just a single set in beating Jack Draper, Kevin Anderson, Denis Kudla and Cristian Garin to reach the last eight of The Championships.
The 34-year-old will face unseeded Hungarian Marton Fucsovics – who upset fifth Andrey Rublev in the fourth round – in the quarter-finals.
“This year, I don’t see who in Novak’s half of the [draw] could even begin to nibble on that famous confidence. In the other half? I have the impression that everyone can reach the final,” Wilander told L’Equipe.
“Afterwards, I tell myself that the only guy who could perhaps, a little “à la [Miroslav] Mecir”, foil Djokovic, with his consistency and his particular rebounding ball, is Daniil Medvedev. But that remains to be proven.”
No. 2 seed Medvedev came through a tough opener against Jan-Lennard Struff in four sets, before defeating Carlos Alcaraz for the loss of only seven games.
The 25-year-old Russian then recovered from two sets down to defeat Marin Cilic in the third round, and will continue his last 16 clash with Hubert Hurkacz on Tuesday.
The match was suspended due to rain with Medvedev leading 6-2, 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 3-4 against the world No. 18.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner