‘I know exactly what will happen in next Olympic match’, says Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic said he knows “exactly what will happen” in his upcoming clash with “great guy” Alejandro Davidovich Fokina at the Tokyo Olympics.
The world number one believes the Spaniard – who he has trained with several times – has “improved a lot on hard courts” in the last 18 months.
In the pair’s only previous meeting – the Serbian dismantled the 22-year-old 6-2, 6-1 in the third round of the Italian Open in May.
Djokovic has advanced to the last 16 without losing a set – while world number 34 Davidovich Fokina lost a set in his hard-fought second round triumph over John Millman.
“A while back people thought of him (Davidovich Fokina) as a clay court specialist, but in the last year and a half he has improved a lot on the hard courts,” the 34-year-old said in a press conference.
“In Spain, we have trained together several times. We have a good relationship, we get along nicely, he’s a great guy. I know exactly what will happen in this match.”
The winner of the match will face either Kei Nishikori or Ilya Ivashka in the quarter-finals in Tokyo.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner