‘I don’t regret coming to Olympics at all’, insists Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic revealed he regrets not winning a medal for his country at the Tokyo Olympics, but said he does not regret competing.
The Serbian was defeated by Pablo Carreno Busta in three sets in the men’s singles bronze medal match, after losing to Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals.
The world number one then withdrew from the bronze medal round of the mixed doubles event – in which he was competing with Nina Stojanovic.
“I do have a regret for not winning a medal for my country, Opportunities missed both in mixed doubles and in singles. I didn’t deliver yesterday and today the level of tennis dropped, also due to exhaustion mentally and physically,” said Djokovic.
“I don’t regret coming to the Olympics at all, of course not. I believe there is no coincidence in life. Everything happens for a reason. The consequences physically hopefully will not create a problem for me for the US Open.
“That’s something that I am not sure about right now, but I’m not regretting giving it [my] all because at the end of the day, when you play for your country, that’s necessary.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner