Dimitrov ready to go the distance
Dimitrov beat the Belgian in straight sets to reach the second Grand Slam semi-final of his career.
Two-and-a-half years after reaching the last four at Wimbledon, Dimitrov is unbeaten in 10 matches this season after winning in Brisbane, and the Bulgarian is determined to reach his first major final.
“I feel like I have all the tools to go further, and my job isn’t over yet,” Dimitrov said after his 6-3 6-2 6-4 victory over No.11 seed Goffin. “I’m looking forward to my match on Friday. I think I’m prepared. I think I’m ready to go the distance.
“I’m confident enough to say that I feel good physically. Just going forward with the confidence that I have built up also from the previous tournament. Now with each match I’ve been feeling better and better. It just all comes pretty natural right now.”
Ever since he won junior titles at Wimbledon and US Open in 2008, Dimitrov has been earmarked as a future world No.1 and major champion, but nearly a decade on he has yet to reach those heights.
After breaking into the Top 10 after his Wimbledon semi-final showing in 2014, Dimitrov endured a dip in form, dropping as low as No.40 in the rankings last year and his victory at the Brisbane International was his first title since June 2014.
With new coach Dani Vallverdu in his box, Dimitrov has rediscovered his focus and is demonstrating a new-found maturity on court.
“I think I’m taking better decisions when I come out on the court, better decisions in terms of points or how I’m going to play certain players or how I’m going to prepare, for example, before my matches,” explained Dimitrov, who has dropped just two sets in Melbourne. “Little things that are important for me in order to come to the court.
“I think my focus has been good. The mentality has been there. I’ve been present when I’m playing my matches. Just fighting. I keep on fighting. I have a good spirit on the court, being positive. There are obviously a lot of small things that when you put them up together it makes a big difference.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner