‘Delighted’ Dan Evans extends British hopes with impressive win
Dan Evans produced another impressive display to cruise past Dusan Lajovic to move into third round at Wimbledon.
The British No. 1 defeated the Serb 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 in one hour and 58 minutes in the second round on Court One at the All England Club.
Evans has had some very impressive results in 2021, recently defeating Novak Djokovic in Monte Carlo. The 31-year-old came through a tough battle against Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in the first round.
The Brit started the match brilliantly, breaking serve three times to take the opening set 6-3, backed by a big British crowd.
Evans’ quality continued to light up the court, as he produced some stunning winners to break for a 3-2 lead in set two. An excellent display of serving saw Evans take a two sets lead.
The match seemed all but over as the Brit led 5-2 in the deciding set, however a spirited challenge from Lajovic delayed the battle a little longer. Evans still had some wonderful tennis in his locker, which saw him win the third set on his third match point.
Third round for the third time 👊
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) June 30, 2021
“Thanks everyone for coming to watch. It’s great to have you back, I hope you enjoyed. I got nervy at the end but pleased to come through.”
“It was difficult today, the occasion and I was nervous. I’m happy to come through win, I need a day off as I’m exhausted. Delighted to come through.” Evans said in his post-match interview.
Evans will face either Antoine Hoang or Sebastien Korda in the third round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner