Daniil Medvedev produces incredible comeback against former Wimbledon finalist
Daniil Medvedev is into the second week of Wimbledon for the first time after coming back from the edge of defeat in his third round match.
The world No. 2 rallied from two sets to love down against 2017 Wimbledon runner-up Marin Cilic in a thoroughly impressive display of grit on Court One.
Cilic was just too strong to start as he saw out the first set in a tiebreak before securing two breaks to claim the second set 6-3.
Medvedev hung tough with the 2014 US Open champion though as the third set went on-serve until the 2-2, when the Russian broke to lead the set.
Medvedev then saw out the set 6-3, completing the comeback by taking the fourth by the same scoreline.
The Russian started the decider perfectly, claiming a triple break and holding his own serves to go 5-0 up in barely twenty minutes.
But Medvedev couldn’t close it out just yet. Despite having three match points at 40-0, Cilic fought back to break for 1-5.
Finally, after a little over three and a half hours on-court, Medvedev sealed the win with his fourth match point on his serve to dispatch the former world No. 3 6-7 (3-7), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-2.
Medvedev has now won seven consecutive matches on grass and has a 7-1 record on the surface in 2021, having won the Mallorca Championships immediately prior to Wimbledon.
He will now face Polish 14th seed Hubert Hurkacz for a place in the quarter-finals.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner