‘Clearly we dream of it’ – Geneva chief makes plea to Roger Federer to play event
The Geneva Open tournament director admits it is a ‘dream’ to have Roger Federer play the event this year.
Federer has not played Geneva since it stepped up from an ITF event to ATP250 a few years ago despite him generally supporting the tournaments in his homeland.
That is largely due to the fact Geneva is an clay event, and Federer has played – at best – a heavily reduced clay schedule in recent years.
Despite that, however, Tournament Director Thierry Grin insists they have not given up hope of attracting Federer this year, with the May 16th event potentially ideal preparation for the now delayed Roland Garros.
“It is clear that we dream of it,” Grin told RTS when asked about the chances of adding Federer to their line-up.
“For six years, we talk every time with his team in the perspective that he will play once the Geneva Open. We hope that this year can be the good one.
“We work to have the best possible field, so imagine if there is Federer [in it].”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner