‘Change at top of ATP rankings is coming. It’s inevitable’, believes Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic said it is “inevitable” that change at the top of the men’s rankings is coming, but reiterated Grand Slams are his “biggest focus”.
The world No. 1 currently has 1,683 more ranking points than Daniil Medvedev – who edged back above Rafael Nadal into second spot this week.
The 33-year-old Serbian was speaking ahead of this week’s Italian Open in Rome – where he begins his campaign against Taylor Fritz today.
“There are guys like (Stefanos) Tsitsipas, (Alexander) Zverev, (Matteo) Berrettini, (Andrey) Rublev that are winning against all of us and playing a lot and building their ranking points,” Djokovic said in a pre-tournament interview.
“Medvedev as well, of course, and challenging for the top spots. Dominic Thiem has been there for many years.
“It’s inevitable that it’s going to happen. The change on the men’s rankings, top of the rankings is coming. Whether it’s going to happen in a month or a year or whatever, I don’t know.
“I’m not personally paying too much attention anymore to the rankings as much as I am to my game for the Grand Slams. Those are the biggest focus tournaments right now at this stage of my career.”
As well as Medvedev – Thiem, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Rublev and Berrettini all occupy spots in the top 10 of the ATP rankings.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner