‘Catching Novak Djokovic is a big motivation’, declares Stefanos Tsitsipas
Stefanos Tsitsipas revealed it is a “big motivation” for him to try to catch Novak Djokovic in the ATP Race To Turin Rankings.
The world No. 4 led the yearly rankings prior to the French Open, but has since been overtaken by the Serbian – who won the Channel Slam (Roland Garros and Wimbledon).
World No. 1 Djokovic has already qualified for the ATP Finals and currently leads the race with 7,170 points, while Tsitsipas is second on 4,570 points.
The Greek was beaten in the French Open final by Djokovic, before falling in the first round of Wimbledon to Frances Tiafoe.
“(On the Race To Turin) Currently it’s a big motivation. I know I’m very close [to Djokovic]. I’m motivated for a better second half of the season,” the 22-year-old told ATP Tennis TV.
“There’s going to be a lot of action in the States with hard court tournaments, and I think there’s a gap for me to close there. Perhaps make a big amount of points and get in the lead again.
“However, my body needs to be in the right state. And I need to be mentally healthy and fit to be able to get to that point again.”
Tsitsipas is back in action at the ATP 500 event in Hamburg this week – where he faces Dominik Koepfer in the second round today.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner