‘By far my biggest win ever’ – Casper Ruud after Stefanos Tsitsipas upset at Madrid Open
Casper Ruud said the conditions helped him get more free points on serve than usual as he beat Stefanos Tsitsipas to reach the Madrid Open quarter-finals.
The Norwegian won 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 against the world No. 5 in the third round of the ATP Masters 1000 tournament on Thursday.
The world No. 22 did not face a break point and won an impressive 80% of points behind his first serve.
“By far my best win ever on the tour and I’m super happy that it came here in Madrid and in a big match like this,” Ruud told ATP Tennis TV.
“He (Tsitsipas) is one of the best players this year on the tour, one of the ones who has won the most matches,” he said in a post-match interview.
“But the conditions are a bit different here than other clay courts with the fast shots, the ball traveling faster through the air because of the altitude.
“You get a lot of free points with the serve that you don’t usually [get] on the clay courts. I think that also today went a bit in my advantage.
19 shots of PURE clay-court tennis 🔥
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 6, 2021
“I felt like he was doing some mistakes that he doesn’t always do. I was just trying to take care of the chances that I got.”
The 22-year-old also spoke of the threat his quarter-final opponent Alexander Bublik poses.
“He’s definitely playing very well here in Madrid. He also won three matches. He’s serving unbelievable. He can do anything with the ball,” Ruud added.
“He can play drop shots and winners, the most incredible shots. Underarm serve. I have to be prepared for everything.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner