‘Biggest win of my career’ – Cameron Norrie upsets Dominic Thiem in Lyon
Cameron Norrie achieved the “biggest win” of his career by stunning top seed Dominic Thiem in straight sets in the second round of the Lyon Open.
The world No. 49 dispatched the US Open champion 6-3, 6-2 in just over an hour in the second round of the ATP 250 tournament.
The 25-year-old broke the world No. 4 three times and did not face a break point on his own serve in a dominant display.
Norrie won a superb 91% of points behind his first serve – which he made 73% of the time.
“I’m so pleased to win today, it’s the biggest win of my career and my highest-ranked win. It’s such a beautiful day in Lyon,” the Brit said in an on-court interview.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 20, 2021
“I couldn’t be happier to get the win today and to get another match on the clay before Roland Garros. I’m moving well and I’ve played a lot of matches [on clay].”
Norrie will face either sixth seed Jannik Sinner or lucky loser Arthur Rinderknech in the quarter-finals.
“I’m feeling good on my feet and hitting my forehand well and serving well,” he added.
“I’m looking forward to the next match, it’s going to be a tricky one as both those guys are great players.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner