WATCH: Matteo Berrettini hits amazing winner as he makes Wimbledon history
Matteo Berrettini defeated Hubert Hurkacz in four sets to reach the Wimbledon final and achieve a piece of tennis history.
The number seven seed triumphed over the 24-year-old Pole 6-3, 6-0, 6-7, 6-4 in an absorbing semi-final on Centre Court.
The 25-year-old is the first Italian to reach a Wimbledon singles final, and it will be the first major final of his career.
Berrettini got himself on top in the contest early on, and looked to be cruising to a straight sets victory, only for Hurkacz to come roaring back in the third set.
However, after a taking a moment off court, Berrettini was able to compose himself again and reassert his authority in the match.
— Tennis GIFs 🎾🎥 (@tennis_gifs) July 9, 2021
“I have no words,” Berrettini said on court after the match. “I need a couple hours to under what happened here. “I played a great match. I’m really happy to be here
“I never dreamed about this as it was just too much. I’m really happy.”
The 25-year-old will face either top seed and five-time champion Novak Djokovic or No. 10 seed Denis Shapovalov in Sunday’s men’s singles final.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner