Benoit Paire hits back at critics, saying: ‘I manage my life the way I want to’
Benoit Paire has defiantly said he does not believe he is doing anything wrong in admitting he prefers to lose in the first round of tournaments at the moment.
The controversial Frenchman has openly confessed his ‘priority’ is to get out of COVID-secure bubbles as quickly as possible, and celebrated on court after losing to Lorenzo Musetti in Miami this week.
It has led to serious criticism from fans as well as prominent tennis commentators such as Toni Nadal and Marion Bartoli, with many calling for sanctions from the ATP.
Benoit Paire, though, remains defiant, asking: “Why do they want me to be suspended?”
“I do my maximum, sometimes my maximum is not very high. I do not see why I would have a suspension.
“I manage my life the way I want to. You are really wrong to worry.
“I’m going to go home, see my family and friends, take my dog for a walk. And I’m not going to watch a tennis match, I’m not interested.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner