Barty through as emotional Navarro bids farewell to Wimbledon
World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty battled through the first round of 2021 with a three sets win against Carla Suarez Navarro at Wimbledon.
The Aussie defeated the 32-year-old 6-1, 6-7, 6-1 in one hours and two minutes in the opening round on Centre Court at the All England Club.
Barty was a heavy favourite entering the match, as she began her quest to win a second Major title. The Centre Court crowd were visibly impressed by the level of Barty’s tennis, as she secured a couple of comfortable breaks to dominate the first set 6-1.
Navarro fought back with immense defence, craft and fight. Barty served for the match at 5-4, but the lack of recent wins was evident as the Spaniard broke back for 5-5. Navarro took advantage of the Barty lapse by superbly taking the tie-break 7-1.
The World No.1 did not hang about in the deciding set, racing into a 5-0 lead and winning it 6-1 to book her place in round two. Barty hit 13 aces and 37 winners.
To open Centre Court on Day 2 🤗
— wta (@WTA) June 29, 2021
“Incredible to play on Centre Court. Simona is a great champion, she deserved to open up. It’s an incredible honour to be out here. It was incredible to share the court with Carla, she’s a fighter, an incredible competitor and a lovely person.”
“I feel great, a lot better on grass, it’s less forgiving on the body. I’m 100% ready to play and loving every minute.” Barty said in her post-match interview.
Barty will face either Anna Blinkova or Timea Babos in the second round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner