‘Playing Kerber is the ultimate test’ – Ash Barty powers into semi-finals
Ashleigh Barty spoke of relishing the prospect of facing Angelique Kerber after defeating Ajla Tomljanovic in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon.
The world No. 1 cruised past fellow Australian Tomljanovic 6-1, 6-3 to reach the last four of The Championships for the first time.
The 25-year-old will face 2018 Wimbledon winner and 25th seed Kerber in the semi-finals. The German has won three of the pair’s five previous matches – including the most recent at the 2019 Hopman Cup.
“It’s exciting [to reach the semi-finals]. Ajla is an incredible competitor, I’ve practised with her a lot. I’ve played with her, we’re Fed Cup teammates,” Barty said in an on-court interview.
Powering into the semi-finals at #Wimbledon 👊
Ash Barty wins in straight sets against fellow Australian Ajla Tomljanovic
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) July 6, 2021
“She was always going to bring out the very best in me. I had to play my absolute best to be able to compete with her. She has had an incredible fortnight.
“I think all Aussies back home are bloody proud of her. It’s the ultimate test [playing Kerber]. Angie has obviously had success here before, and had the best fortnight here possible.
“And I love that matchup, I love playing Angie, she’s an incredible competitor. She knows her way around this court. I hope that I can play well and give myself a chance, and play a good match.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner