Australian Open fast facts
Martina Hingis had a lucky escape before her historic 1997 Australian Open victory.
The 16-year-old beat 1995 champion Mary Pierce 6-2 6-2 to become the youngest Grand Slam champion since Lottie Dod at Wimbledon in 1887, but it could have been a very different outcome.
Just a few days before the final, Hingis, who also won the women’s doubles title with Natasha Zvereva, fell off a horse called Magic Girl.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner