Australian Open fast facts
Australia has not toasted a homegrown men’s singles champion since 1976. And after decades of dominance by Australian players, it was an unlikely one at that.
Ranked No.212 in the world, Mark Edmondson only just scraped into the 64-player main draw after a late withdrawal. Just days earlier he had been working as a cleaner in his local hospital, but after defeating the two top-ranked players, Ken Rosewall and John Newcombe, he became the lowest ranked player in history to win a major.
Perhaps Edmondson was as surprised as everyone else; he dropped the trophy during the prize ceremony.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner