ATP youngster has ‘very big future’ believes fellow pro
An up-and-comer on the ATP tour is looking impressive so far in 2021, and other players are beginning to acknowledge as much.
Brandon Nakashima is making waves in the second half of the 2021 ATP season, with the American reaching back-to-back finals in Los Cabos and Atlanta.
The 19-year-old then went on to the Citi Open in Washington DC as wildcard, bringing his strong form with him.
He dispatched Alexei Popyrin and Dan Evans, with the latter impressed by the American teen.
“I think he’s got obviously a very big future,” the Brit told reporters after facing Nakashima. “He seems very calm and levelheaded, which is a good thing. He played good today.
“He put me away pretty convincingly in the end. He’s going to be a good player.”
Nakashima is now at a career-high ranking of world No. 89, his first venture into the top 100, and will likely climb further following Washington.
He is also now sixth in the ATP ‘Race to Milan’ for the Next Gen ATP Finals, only behind big names Jannik Sinner, Feliz Auger-Aliassime, Sebastian Korda, Lorenzo Musetti and Carlos Alcaraz.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner