‘ATP bubbles are just for show,’ claims a disgruntled Reilly Opelka
Reilly Opelka has once again his out at the ATP over their organisation of the Tour during the coronavirus pandemic.
The American has previously said he is struggling to even break even at many tournaments due to the reduced prize money.
He has taken to social media again though to unfavourably compare tennis players’ situation with golfers, while also claiming the ‘bubbles’ players are forced to stay in are just for show.
“Are we lucky to still have jobs? Yes, 100%,” Opelka wrote on Twitter.
“But if you compare to other sports, and we are not so lucky. PGA players are not taking a 70% pay cut.”
Other sports are not having to stay in “bubbles” either. Our bubbles are strictly for optics (besides miami open). Outside guests are always there, and tournament staff (that we are close contacts with) get to go home. https://t.co/EGuXRre5vq
— Reilly Opelka (@ReillyOpelka) March 28, 2021
“Other sports are not having to stay in “bubbles” either. Our bubbles are strictly for optics (besides Miami open).
“Outside guests are always there, and tournament staff (that we are close contacts with) get to go home.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner