Australian star Ash Barty ‘daring to dream’ at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics
Recently crowned Wimbledon champion Ash Barty has discussed what it will mean to represent Australia at the Olympics and her dream of being on the podium in Tokyo.
The world number one, who will be representing Australia at the Olympics for the first time, said that being an Olympian has fulfilled her life-long dream.
Despite making her Olympics debut later this month, the 25-year-old is no stranger to representing Australia, having made her Fed Cup debut at 16 and playing an instrumental role in leading Australia to the 2019 Fed Cup final.
“Being an Olympian has always been a dream of mine as a kid, I think representing your country is the highest honour,” Barty told the ITF.
“For an Aussie it’s the best thing you can do and I can’t wait to have an opportunity to wear the green and gold.
“You’re playing for something bigger than yourself. You’re playing to represent your nation. You’re playing to make people proud and that’s not just with results it’s with your attitude.
“You have to dream (of being on the podium). It’s a spine tingling feeling but you have to dream. You have to dare to dream and I think you have to allow yourself to think ‘what if’ and ‘why not me’. It would be a dream come true.”
"It doesn't matter what code you're playing or what sport you're playing the dream of the @Olympics is always there."
— ITF (@ITFTennis) July 17, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner