Andy Murray: ‘I am still getting over coronavirus result and Australian Open disappointment’
Andy Murray has opened up about the coronavirus test result that kept him out of the Australian Open, and the mental challenges that came with it.
Murray was all set to travel to Australia when he returned a positive test result, meaning he was unable to complete a mandatory 14-day quarantine and compete in the tournament.
It came as a particularly cruel blow to Murray given he had put in so much work to prepare physically for the season, and he admits the frustration really got to him.
“I’d say [it was] more mental to be honest than physical,” Andy Murray told the ATP. “It obviously affects your tennis a little bit because it came on the end of a long training block
“I’d trained really hard for 10 weeks and was feeling really good and then I wasn’t allowed to do anything.
“I wasn’t allowed out of the house… that obviously affects the physical side, but also the mental side as well.
“I’ve missed quite a lot of big tournaments in recent years with injury and stuff and then that happened and I was really, really disappointed.
“[It’s] still something that I’m probably getting over a bit from the disappointment and the mental side of things, but physically I feel good.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner