Andy Murray handed blockbuster first round in final US Open warm-up
Andy Murray has decided to play one more tournament as he gears up to the US Open and is set to take on Australian star Nick Kyrgios in his opener.
The former world number one will take on the maverick at next week’s Winston-Salem Open in North Carolina as he looks to be in the best possible shape ahead of the US Slam.
Despite a tough opening draw against the 26-year-old, the Brit will feel confident ahead of the clash having won five of his six career meetings with the Australian, who has been full of praise for the three-time Grand Slam champion.
Earlier this week, Murray was asked which players he finds most entertaining to watch and the 34-year-old mentioned Kyrgios, though qualified his remark.
“I like watching [Nick] Kyrgios when he’s into it. When he’s not into it, I don’t enjoy that at all,” Murray said. “But when he’s into it, I really enjoy watching him.”
Murray made his return to singles action for the first time since Wimbledon in Cincinnati this week, beating Richard Gasquet before losing to the in-form Hubert Hurkacz.
Kyrgios on the other hand has lost his last three encounters and admitted he is struggling for motivation, raising questions over his continuation in the sport.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner