Andy Murray delivers spikey response to former world number one over ‘false hope’ accusation
Andy Murray has given a spikey response to top TV pundit Mats Wilander after he questioned whether he should be retiring.
Murray was far below his best in his French Open defeat to Stan Wawrinka on Sunday, but Eurosport expect Wilander was cutting in his criticism.
“I worry about Andy Murray,” Wilander said. “I would love to hear him say why he is out there, giving us a false sense of hope that he going to come back one day.
“I think Andy Murray needs to stop thinking of himself and start thinking about who he was. Does he have a right to be out there taking wildcards from the young players?
After the match, Murray vowed to carry on with his return to tennis, albeit after admitting he performance was a poor one.
It wasn’t until he got on social media that he gave a quick response to Wilander, though, and it was clear he was not impressed, delivering a sarcastic ‘love this (thumbs up)’ reply.
Murray will head to Cologne next in October for two indoor hardcourt events that has replaced the cancelled Asian leg of the ATP Tour this year.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner