Judy Murray ‘not sure if she’ll ever forgive Boris Becker’ over controversial Andy Murray career claims
Judy Murray says he will ‘never forgive’ Boris Becker for suggesting she was holding back Andy Murray’s career.
Andy Murray lost a second successive Australian Open final in 2011 – both to Novak Djokovic – a year before he finally broke his duck with the 2012 US Open title.
However, Becker, who later coached Djokovic, controversially questioned whether Judy Murray joining her son for tournaments was becoming a distraction.
“I’m not sure I’ll ever forgive Boris Becker for that,” she told BBC Scotland’s Fair Play podcast.
“He’s never apologised. I don’t think he would ever understand what he made me feel like.
“I called him out on it a couple of years later. I thought it was right to let him know how much damage he had caused by doing something like that.
“Boris Becker is such a huge figure in tennis and I thought, ‘people will think he knows what he’s talking about, they’re going to think that’s my fault’. And actually, I hardly ever went to the tournaments.
“Most players have their parents or their families with them at the Grand Slams.
“Those are the events where you need the most emotional support. It’s incredibly important.
“I came in for an awful lot of criticism simply for being a competitive woman who was pumping her fist watching her kid play in the same way that I had done all of his tennis playing life.
“I was being singled out by people who had never met me, never knew what we’d been through.
“It made me feel like there was something wrong with being a competitive mum, whereas if I’d been a competitive dad, you’d be applauded.
Becker certainly caused a stir with his comments, which were later branded sexist by Judy Murray.
“He doesn’t need to make major changes but maybe there are a few details for the Grand Slams,” Becker said in 2011.
“Is it the right decision for his mother and the whole team to be around? Maybe he needs someone around who has won a Grand Slam.”
Murray has since gone on to establish himself as a modern great, winning three Grand Slam titles and becoming world number one – all with Judy Murray at his side.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner