Andrey Rublev bringing ‘confidence from Olympic gold’ to Toronto
Andrey Rublev believes that his Olympic triumph will help his form going into the North American hard court swing.
The Russian talent won mixed doubles gold alongside Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in Tokyo, and will be looking to continue the high of good results at the Canadian Masters.
“To be honest [winning gold] is an amazing feeling,” the Russian told ATPTour.com in an interview.
“Especially when you start to understand and realise how big it is, it’s an amazing feeling and it’s a big honour, I’m really thankful.”
Rublev is making his third appearance at the Canadian Masters, but has not had success in the past, losing both of his previous two matches at the event.
But Olympic glory has bolstered the world number seven, and he explained as much further along in the interview.
“I want to think that I’m playing well. I want to think that after the Olympic Games I’m more confident.
“We’ll see, only time can show [that].”
The fourth seed will face Fabio Fognini in his first match for a place in the round of 16.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner