Analyst highlights factors that will lead to a close battle in Tsitsipas vs Medvedev Australian Open semi-final
Recent data means the Australian Open semi-final between Stefanos Tsitsipas and Daniil Medvedev promises to be an intriguing battle.
Medvedev is in red-hot form having won the Paris Masters and ATP Tour Finals end of last season, while also leading Team Russia to the 2021 ATP Cup title. Tsitsipas on the other hand mounted one of the greatest tennis comebacks of recent times in his previous round at Australian Open becoming only the second player to beat Rafael Nadal from 2 sets down at a Grand Slam.
Tsitsipas and Medvedev have faced off 6 times prior to their semi finals encounter, with Medvedev leading their head-to-head 5-1. Both players have different playing styles. Medvedev is predominantly a defensively minded baseline player, while Tsitsipas employs a more aggressive all-court game. Throughout the 2021 Australian Open Tsitsipas has posted superior numbers on serve, while Medvedev holds the edge on return.
Tsitsipas has won 82% of points behind his first serve with Medvedev winning 80% of points. Where Tsitsipas has a greater edge is on the second serve. He has won 64% of points behind his second serve, which is 9% more than Medvedev. Yet Medvedev has won 44% of his return points, which 4% more than Tsitsipas.
Serving and returning are hugely important facets of a professional tennis match. If a player can hold serve more easily than their opponent and put that opponent under greater pressure on return, they are likely to be the eventual winner. As the numbers show Tsitsipas holds an advantage on serve, but this will likely be negated by Medvedev’s stronger return.
This Australian Open semi-final promises to be a close encounter and it seems difficult to predict an eventual winner for this match. The result will depend on which player is able to stifle the strength of their opponent more effectively.
Luka Elliott has a B Com in Economics and Statistics from the University of Cape Town. His thesis was titled “Engineering Features for Tennis Match Outcome Prediction in a Statistical Learning Framework”. He now writes for Tennishead focussing on how statistics effect the outcome of ATP matches
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner