‘All the pressure will be on Djokovic at the Olympics’, claims ATP star
World number one Novak Djokovic will be the player with “all the pressure behind him” at the Tokyo Olympics, believes ATP star Pablo Carreno Busta.
World number 11 Carreno Busta admitted that the 34-year-old Serbian “seems unbeatable” and believes he is “at a very high level”.
Djokovic is bidding to become the first man to win the Golden Calendar Slam – having claimed the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon titles in 2021.
Carreno Busta secured the biggest title of his career by defeating Filip Krajinovic to win the ATP 500 tournament in Hamburg last week.
“Djokovic is first and foremost. It seems unbeatable. He’s at a very high level and if there’s a favourite in Tokyo, it’s him,” the Spaniard told Marseille News.
“But he’s also the rival to beat, the one with all the pressure behind. Either way, I’m not watching him or what he’s going to do. I have to focus on myself.”
Djokovic has won four of his five matches against Carreno Busta – with the only ‘defeat’ coming when he was infamously defaulted for accidentally hitting a line judge with a ball at the 2020 US Open.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner