‘A strange Wimbledon is better than no Wimbledon’, says Ashleigh Barty on bubble restrictions
Ashleigh Barty suggested players should be grateful to get to play at Wimbledon this year regardless of any COVID bubble restrictions.
The year’s third major is set to require players to stay in hotels and only leave to travel to the All England Club, and the Australian believes competitors should “do what we have to do.”
The world No. 1 is playing at the Madrid Open WTA 1000 tournament. Barty reached the second round by beating Shelby Rogers 6-2, 6-1 on Thursday.
“It will be strange, without a doubt. But to be a little bit strange, to still be able to play Wimbledon, is certainly my preference,” the 25-year-old said in an interview at the event.
“It would be a shame to not be able to play that incredible tournament. I think as players, but certainly from my point of view, we do the right thing, we do what we have to do to enjoy the fact we get to play at Wimbledon.
“Hopefully then people are able to enjoy it with us. There may be some crowds. I haven’t heard of what the plan of kind of easing of restrictions are there, so I’m not sure what the plan is.
“We’re still a couple months away yet. Hopefully in the UK things can settle down, and some sort of normality outside would be brilliant for everyone.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner