2016 in review: Wawrinka prospers in New York
Having already bagged the Australian Open and French Open, Stan Wawrinka won his third Grand Slam title with victory at the US Open.
The 31-year-old Swiss defeated defending champion Novak Djokovic 6-7(1) 6-4 7-5 6-3 in three hours and 55 minutes to become the oldest winner of the US Open men’s singles title since Ken Rosewall in 1970.
Going into the final Wawrinka was perfect in Grand Slam finals, having beaten Rafael Nadal in Melbourne in 2014 and Djokovic at Roland Garros last year, and he extended his unbeaten record in major title matches with a superb display of shotmaking, hitting 46 winners.
“Before the final, I was really nervous like never before,” said Wawrinka, who saved match point in his third round win over Dan Evans. “I was shaking in the locker room. When we start five minutes before the match talking, last few things with Magnus [Norman, his coach], I started to cry. I was completely shaking.
“The only thing I was convinced with myself that my game was there. Physically I was there. My game was there. Put the fight on the court and you will have a chance to win. And that’s what happened after few games when I started to believe in myself, started to be in the match.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner